Thursday 8 March 2012

Goldhawk Road Goodness

After a disappointing trip to Dorothy Perkins to exchange a dress with a broken zip for one that , you know, I could actually wear only to discover they'd completely sold out in my size, I decided to take a trip to Goldhawk road to cheer myself up. I've read about this magical fabric land on many a blog and it was finally time to go and explore. I had planned to only but fabric to complete items on my list of sewing plans but that so didn't happen. My oh my there were some beautiful fabrics. Here's my newly acquired little stash.


I did manage to acquire one fabric from my list. It's for my 'Laurie outfit blouse'. I simply asked the man in the shop (I forget which one) "Do you have anything floaty, navy blue with white polka dots?" and he said "yes!". Hooray. I have no idea what kind of fabric it is but it fits the bill.




I couldn't find any grey denim for my crescent skirt anywhere, everyone said they'd had some but it had all been sold! Bummer. 

In one of the shops I found a whole row of satin for £1.99 a meter in just about every colour, I immediately thought of Sewaholic's Pendrell Blouse, and then fantasised about a rainbow of pendrell's in my wardrobe, but I controlled myself and only bought one colour (this time). I went with navy blue, for no other reason than I like navy blue and want more of it in my wardrobe.


Next up a floral cotton. I'm not sure what I'll make with this one but it's very pretty and makes me think of summer, perhaps a sundress for picnicing.


Finally, my favourite find of the day: this beautiful horse print fabric.



Again, I have no idea what kind of fabric it is but it's very see-through and seems pretty delicate. It will definitely need under-lining. As soon as I saw it I was reminded of this gorgeous dress tutorial from A Beautiful Mess. I really want to hand stamp a dress of my own some day, but for now I have plenty of pony fabric to play with. I'm planning to turn this into a Meghan Neilsen Darling Ranges dress, I've seen loads of these popping up all over the blogosphere and I can't wait to have one of my own. Although I think I will be waiting a little while as I need to find the perfect buttons (would horseshoe buttons be equine overkill?) and build up the courage to conquer this 'intermediate' pattern.


I am so excited to start these projects.

Alice x




3 comments:

  1. Nice haul! I went fabric shopping today, in soho, very expensive shops but absolutely beautiful selection of fabrics, like none other I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Goldhawk Road!! that's the only place I will shop for fabric these days! Congrats on finishing the dress it looks great! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that horse print fabric!

    ReplyDelete